Sunday, April 10, 2011

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

Now, I realize Jane Eyre is a classic and that a lot of you have probably already read it.  However, I read this book for the first time only a couple of months ago, and it quickly rose to the top of my "books I can read any day, any way" list. 
Jane Eyre is a romantic novel of the Jane Austin persuasion.  If you like Pride & Prejudice, you will like Jane Eyre.  That being said, while P&P is frothy and humorous at times, Jane Eyre has a darker thread of mystery running through it, as well as a higher level of drama.
We meet Jane when she is a young girl, living with her aunt, who is forced by a death-bed promise to her husband to care for Jane, even though she clearly hates the girl.  Jane is quickly shipped off to a mostly horrid religious boarding school and trained to become a teacher.  She then retains a position as governess to a young French girl, the ward of the mysterious, abrasive and somehow sexy Mr. Rochester.  A relationship quickly develops between the two, and during it all, there is a mystery in the house.  A fire starts in the dead of night, voices and frightening laughter are heard, and a visitor is attacked...
In interest of not spoiling the story for those who haven't had the pleasure yet, I won't say anything further just now.  I will say, however, that after you read the book I highly recommend you check out the BBC version of the film - it's 6 hours long, but oh, so worth it.  You may want to keep a paper sack near by - I caught myself sighing with such frequency at a couple of points that I felt in danger of passing out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment