Monday, April 11, 2011

Cleaning Out the Bookcases

I was cleaning out my bookcases today in preparation for a yard sale and I realized - I no longer have any respect for James Patterson.  If you aren't familiar with his work, he's the writer of Kiss The Girls, Along Came a Spider, The Beach House and many, many more.  I used to be quite a fan, as evidenced by the entire shelf I had dedicated to his books.  However, his books began to have a mass-produced, I'm-not-really-trying feel.  He also started releasing books that were almost all written with the contribution of another author.  I'm not against contributing writers on principle, but when you're coming out with a book every 1-2 months and all of them are with the help of other authors...well, maybe it's time to quit, or at least slow down.  I ended up keeping only 4 of his books, and those are the ones I like the most, and among some of the first of his that I bought.
If you're in for a seriously scary/creepy read, Kiss the Girls is a winner, but I don't recommend it if graphic imagery and sexual content bother you.  This book was also made into a movie, which was very good, starring Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd.  Also worth a viewing, but not at night, and not while you're alone in your house.  And if you're a single woman who lives alone...best to just skip this one altogether. 

In another category altogether, I am tossing my copy of The Time Traveler's Wife.  Let me start out by saying I really, really wanted to like this book.  The premise - a man who travels through time spontaneously and without any control whatsoever - was intriguing, and I like a good romantic book now and again.  I was sadly disappointed.  While some parts of the book were good, when I got to the end I was left with a feeling of irritation, and a "What the heck was the point of that?" feeling.  Now, I know a lot of people, women specifically, liked this one, but I was not one of them.  My recommendation is to leave it.  Unless you are coming by my parents' yard sale this weekend, in which case, please feel free to buy it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment