Monday, April 11, 2011

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Seth Grahame-Smith

As you can probably guess from the title, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is the story of Abraham Lincoln, but with a twist - that he's a vampire slayer, and that the Civil War was not just about slavery, but about vampires. 
I was pretty skeptical when I started this one, but I was intrigued by the idea and decided to sail in.  Let me say, I was very pleasantly surprised.  This book is told in an engaging voice, has just the right amount of scary, and by the end I was at least 80% convinced that Lincoln actually did kill vampires.  The twist at the end seemed somewhat unnecessary to me, but I at least got a laugh out of it. 
I believe this book is considered to be a "young adult" novel - but I beg of you, do not let the words "young adult" equal "not a good or engaging story" in your mind.  I know some adults cringe away from so-called "kid books", but you are missing out on a whole lot of good material if you limit yourself that way. 
There are some "ick" moments - head chopping and so forth - but if you can deal with a little gore, you're good to go. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL I think I'll have to give this book a try some day. I have soft place in my heart for Lincoln, especially after I had that dream where I met him in that cave. did I tell you about that?

    ReplyDelete